Cooking time: 55 minutes Serving for: 6
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place the cut side up on a baking tray. Place the tray in a preheated oven and grill the tomatoes until they are soft and the skin gets burnt a little.
- Then remove the tray from the grill.
- Heat a saucepan and pour some olive oil on it. When the oil is heated add the garlic and herbs. Stir a little and add all the other vegetables. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Stir occasionally.
- Transfer them to a roasting tin and roast in the preheated oven(190/C/375 F/gas mark 5) for 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Take out the vegetables from the oven and blend them until into a smooth tomato purée.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and pass them through a sieve and season the puree. Add some water if necessary.
- pound the basil leaves smooth with the salt.
- Add some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir them together.
- Dice the ciabatta into small cubes. then stir them with some olive oil and olive paste in a Bowl and place in a baking tray(single layer).
- Bake the tray in an oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Warm the soup and pour into a bowl. Add a teaspoon of basil purée and a few ciabatta croutons on top of the soup and garnish with the oil and sprigs of herbs.